Saturday, April 2, 2016

My Holy Land Experience

As I type I am sitting in the Lobby of the La Quinta Inn at the Orlando Airport with sore, red eyes. Just prior to perching here I spent about an hour sitting outside journaling, reading my Bible, and breaking intermittently to watch airplanes fly overhead. When Vic and I made the decision to visit the Holy Land Experience today I had no idea that it would take all afternoon and evening to process what happened while we were there.

I must admit that my first impression of the "Holy Land" was that it was a bit cheesy and over-the-top flashy. In one word, gaudy. We walked around and I couldn't help to be somewhat turned off by the "fake-ness" of everything. I knew going into the experience that it was not going to be just like being in the real Holy Land but I guess I was expecting something that felt a little more authentic. Probably one of the best features of the park itself were the bricks that have been hewn and brought in from Israel. However, despite how much I appreciated the bricks they only aided in exaggerating the contrast of genuine vs artificial in the world that surrounded me. I wanted it to feel more real. God must have been eavesdropping on my internal conversation with myself because before we left He gave me what I yearned for and more.  

Now would be a good time to make a confession about something. Prior to our trip to the Holy Land I had been very quiet in my personal prayer life with God. Sure, the purpose of our trip to Orlando was for me to participate in a class facilitated by a Christian University. We did a lot of praying and praising God during the week as a class but when I got back to the hotel I failed to interact with my Savior. When I think about it, I almost feel like I left God back in Georgia. In my heart I know He has been with us the whole time but practically I failed to make him a priority.

As we walked into the theater at the Church of All Nations where the Passion of Jesus production would take place I had no idea what to expect. We were seated by the cast member who would later portray Simon of Cyrene, the man who helped Jesus carry the cross to Golgotha. Les Cheveldayoff, the man who plays the role of Jesus, started the show off by singing "I Bowed on My Knees" by the Gaithers. Finally, something I could relate to. During his performance I couldn't help but think of how mightily God blessed Les. Not only does he look like Jesus but he could also be Guy Penrod's twin in appearance and vocal ability. Now that's favor.     

I don't want to give away the entire performance for those who hope to one day experience it for yourself, but I would like to share just one of the scenes that really moved me. It was just after Christ commended His soul to the Father when the Centurion admitted, "Surely this was the Son of God." This was a part of Christ's story that I had never given much attention to but I really appreciated how they played this part out. Seeing the Centurion truly repentant for what he did and how his heart changed when he realized Jesus forgive him while He still hung on the cross was overwhelming.
I bawled from that point on until we were halfway back to the hotel.

Though the Centurion triggered the tears, the scenes that came after that depicted Christ's resurrection and His reign in Heaven were even more moving. Again the costumes and props were over-the-top but so was Christ's love for us. With this in mind I was able to overlook the sparkle and just embrace the depiction of His reign in Heaven as He called out familiar names from The Book of Life. One by one Mary of Bethany, Simon the Cyrene, the Centurion and many others were brought up and given crowns which they in turn humbly laid at Jesus' feet in worship. I found myself wanting one just so I could lay it at His feet too. Indeed, what a glorious day that will be.

At the very end Les lead us in a time of worship where the audience was invited to come up front and kneel at the steps of the stage as an alter. Despite being in an unfamiliar place surrounded by strangers I felt so comfortable and safe. At that time I literally found myself thinking, "I'm surrounded by a bunch of strangers, completely vulnerable, and I don't even care because Jesus loves me." I drenched the floor in my tears and snot and praised God for His goodness and faithfulness in my life. I thanked Him for many things including beauty, peace, joy, family, and love.

People began filing out of the auditorium while Vic and I just sat in the seats and watched Les wrap his arms around visitors and pray with them. I wanted so bad to hug him but I didn't for fear that I would collapse in tears on the floor. He did such an incredible job depicting Jesus and demonstrating His love and concern for others. That was genuine. As we left the theater we were checked on by multiple cast members and asked if we needed prayer. All I could get out was, "It was beautiful."

The glitter and gold could have turned to dust and copper and I wouldn't have noticed as long as those smiling faces remained. The love of the people make the Holy Land Experience. Not the bricks from Israel, not the scenery, and definitely not the glitz and the glamor.

The presence of Jesus in believers is what makes this world bearable and dare I say beautiful. I am so grateful that we chose to spend our rainy day at the Holy Land instead of at Disney World. I've had enough of this world, what I really needed was more of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment