Friday, January 20, 2017

When it Rained on Inauguration Day


Today, like many Americans, I watched as our nation acknowledged the inauguration of the 45th President of the United States of America. I felt fortunate to have this monumental day off work as I sat soaking in the gravity of the event. Thinking back on the moment I recall experiencing a grab bag of emotions including uncertainty, fear, awe, humility and hope.

I was uncertain because of how controversial this election has been and fearful that our democratic tradition of a peaceful transition of power would be interrupted. Indeed, protests and riots were a part of the inaugural day activities for some, however, hours later I am convinced that our beloved tradition carries on despite the best efforts of an angry minority. Praise be to God for His protection over all who could have easily been in harm's way today.

My sense of awe was inspired by the pomp and circumstance of the day's events. In my opinion, American culture has far strayed from the custom of demonstrating an attitude of respect and reverence in our day to day lives. While observing the self-control, restraint, and dignity demonstrated by the future first family I could not help but be impressed with how gracefully and ceremoniously they took on their new roles.

During the ceremony, I sat on my bed humbly pleading for God's protection over all Americans but especially over President Donald Trump and his family. I felt for his youngest son who at 10 years old will be forced to share his father's attention with the world. I pray that he does not grow up with resentment in his heart as a result.

Despite the potential for danger, I felt God's presence and peace during the ceremony. I noticed as the rain began during President Trump's speech and wondered if anyone else noted the significance. Without disappointment, Franklin Graham made headlines when he took the time to acknowledge the rain as a sign of God's blessing before commencing to read scripture.

For me, today was not about being affiliated with a political party, it was about being an American. Today, I have a spirit of peace and of pride when I think of the country I belong to, not because of who our President is but because our President knows who our God is. Hearing the name of Jesus Christ spoken over the National Mall gave me hope that Washing D.C. will remember that faith in God, above all, is what will make America great again.

No comments:

Post a Comment